This article contains affiliate links to products and partners. PetHub may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
The internet has made reuniting lost pets with their owners much easier. Posting a lost pet to Facebook groups, and your own Facebook profile, can be very helpful. Craigslist is another online tool that many people turn to. But is advertising your lost pet on Craigslist a good idea?
What Do the Experts Say?
- Create a digital flyer to share on your social media channels, which you can do by downloading the ASPCA’s Pet Safety App.
- Search for local lost and found pet Facebook pages. Check to see if anyone listed your dog as found and ask the Facebook page administrator to post a digital flyer of your dog.
- Consider creating your own “Help Find” or “Bring Home” Facebook page to generate assistance and sightings from volunteers in your area.
- Check other lost pet websites, especially local ones.”
Craigslist Postings Can Be a Great Way to Find a Lost Pet
INSIDER TIP: Get a collar that stands out -- this will help people recognize your pet if they spot them in their neighborhood! Check out all of the collars available at Chewy.com
- Don’t list your home address in the ad
- Provide only your first name in the ad
- Although you want to list identifying marks your pet may have, it’s a good idea to withhold a small amount of information like a second white spot on your pet’s tail. That way you can ask a potential finder if the animal has any identifying marks. If they don’t mention the piece of information you left out, it may be a scam.
How to Post a Lost Pet on Craigslist
1. Visit www.craigslist.org.
2. To the right of the page, you'll see three columns with a list of cities, states, countries. If you are not already on the Craigslist page for your city (or your state, if your city is not on the list), select the appropriate one.
3. On the very top right of the website, select "post".
4. Where it says, "what type of posting is this", Select “community” (second from the bottom of the list) and click the “continue” button.
5. Select “pets” from the list.
6. Select the “location that fits best” if prompted.
7. Create a post title that best describes your pet and/or situation (For example, “Lost Black Lab in North Seattle). Put “reward” in the title if you are offering one.
8. Enter information about your lost pet such as appearance, time and location lost, any important health information, etc.
9. Provide your contact information and any additional contact like your veterinarian or spouse.
10. Upload a picture of your pet that shows their whole body and would allow a finder to easily identify them
11. Click “continue” to post your ad and verify the posting via email if asked.